Preview: Preakness Stakes 2019 (Race Result 2018, Race Video 2018, Race Info)
Can Alwaysmining take on Improbable In The 144th Preakness Stakes?
The Kentucky Derby is far from behind us. The owners of Maximum Security, Gary, and Mary West have sued to reverse the horse's disqualification from the Kentucky Derby earlier this month. They are also seeking the $1.86m winner's share of the $3m purse, including $186,000 each for trainer Jason Servis and jockey Luis Saez. Putting that aside for the moment, we have a blinding open Preakness field which doesn’t feature Country House, Maximum Security or Omaha Beach.
We do have some good potentials though with popular War Of Will and Baffert’s Improbable lining up. Let’s take a look at a horse-by-horse look at the field of the Middle Jewel of the US Triple Crown.
1. WAR OF WILL: The War Front colt is back to rails, again. He has beaten Country House once to win the Gr.2 Risen Star. He will have to take the lead from the beginning and keep it. The question is whether he can go up another gear in the final lengths when the others speed-up? He certainly ran a good race in the Derby but his position is a bit further down than we would have liked to see.
2. BOURBON WAR: The Bourbon Lane Stable and Lake Star Stable colt comes out of Florida Derby, won easily by Maximum Security who set a very fast pace. With less to hinder him, he is likely to come to the front but this may be a tough race for him to win.
3. WARRIOR’S CHARGE: The Munning’s colt comes to the Gr. 1 Preakness field unbeaten in his last two starts. He’s got both the speed and the talent, however, can he show up his betters in a spectacular upset?
4. IMPROBABLE: Golden boy Bob Baffert’s protégé has been declared the hands-down favourite based on his Derby run and the fact that his famous trainer knows exactly what to do, to get the colt into fighting-form so soon after the sloppy Derby. The Group One-winning colt needs to find a fifth gear and some more stamina for this race which is a bit longer to win.
5. OWENDALE: Brad H. Cox trained 3YO was very impressive in taking the Gr.3 Lexington Stakes at Keeneland in a good time when last seen. He is in great form currently but can he take on the Group One winning Improbable, Alwaysmining and War Of Will is the question?
6. MARKET KING: The iconic D. Wayne Lukas trained-Into Mischief colt came almost last minute into the Preakness fray. Market King was third in the Gr.2 Rebel and was on the Kentucky Derby trail until he was 11th in the Gr.2 Blue Grass. He was vet scratched from the Gr.3 Pat Day Mile on Derby Day, just a few weeks ago. He doesn’t seem to fit on form and figures but has had two sharp five-furlong breezes since.
7. ALWAYSMINING: Runnymede Racing-owned colt, has won his last six starts including the Tesio which is considered the Preakness prep. The Stay Thirsty colt’s greatest weapon is his tactical speed. He will have to make a jump but he looks like a good sort. The jump in class is not too high and he has the ability to take this one with ease.
8. SIGNALMAN: Kenny Mc Peek always had the Derby in his sights for the son of General Quarters but eventually decided to forego the Derby for the Preakness. The colt has been working well the Gr.2 Blue Grass Stakes, where he was third behind Vekoma & Win Win Win. But again, his current form doesn’t indicate that he beat the best in the field?
9. BODEXPRESS: Although the Top Racing-owned colt was runner up behind Maximum Security in the Gr.1 Florida Derby his performance in the Kentucky Derby leaves a lot to be desired. He may be out-classed in this fine field.
10. EVERFAST: The Calumet Farm colt comes to the Preakness well-raced. But it almost seems as if, he has tried everything and may not actually end up in the top half of the winner’s list.
11. LAUGHING FOX: This 3YO colt has the right credentials to win this race, provided he starts off in the fifth gear and stays there till the end.
13. WIN WIN WIN: Given the bad post he is sitting on, the Michael Trombetta trained 3YO faces a challenge again here in a spot where he seems destined to lose all the ground. He could land the trifecta by a longshot.##