Baffert May Have 'none' For Pegasus World Cup
Bob Baffert has yet to confirm whether either Mucho Gusto or Roadster will be represented in the Gr.1 US$3 million Pegasus World Cup.
Both horses were notably omitted from the revised invitation list released Sunday by Gulfstream Park officials were Roadster, who was in the original field of 12, while remaining on the also-eligible list was stablemate Mucho Gusto.
On Monday, Baffert said Speedway Stable’s Roadster would stay at his Santa Anita base and run in the Gr.1 San Pasqual Stakes going
While Baffert is still undecided on whether Mucho Gusto will aim for the Gr.1 Pegasus or also running him in the Gr.1 San Pasqual. The 4YO son of Mucho Macho Man, who collected a trio of Grade 3 wins in 2019, has not raced since finishing fourth in the Gr.3 Oklahoma Derby.
Baffert previously said the main objective for Michael Lund Petersen’s Mucho Gusto’s is the US$20 million Saudi Cup on in Riyadh. While he is currently on the also-eligible list for the Pegasus, Mucho Gusto would draw into the field with a defection between now and the Jan. 25 race.
Mucho Gusto returned to training around Thanksgiving and boasts three consecutive bullet drills on the work tab, which includes most recently a six-furlong move in 1:12.80 on Friday. Baffert said he will decide on Mucho Gusto’s comeback race next week.